AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall bred cows on fescue pasture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 3/29/2019 08:39 (#7407751 - in reply to #7407374)
Subject: RE: Fall bred cows on fescue pasture

NEMO
Wasn't meant to be smart, sorry you took it that way. You got about what I expected below. The test Ben refers to, we thought would save us all, turned out it didn't. The other comments about if the cows are here and they get kinda used to it is somewhat correct, with exceptions,,some cows just don't hair off or slick up as good (certain bloodlines,reds do better somewhat).The other comment referring to us dumbies, and why we don't do something, is more where I thought the thread would go. The seed people and university people have been trying to save us from ourselves for years,,,truth is KY 31 fescue is here to stay. Many fescue pastures are what Tboss shows or steeper. Where Ben is at, the roll is gentler, and I suspect the soil is maybe, slightly better, so he has options to dilute or reseed that some others wouldn't. To really answer your question,,forget about trying to FIND fescue tolerant cattle, just bring what you have, put the right mineral out, and call it good enough. 6030 below has a good thought also,,fall calvers do better. If someone tries to sell you fescue tolerant cows, they may be stretching the truth a little. Make sense and not sound too smart??

Edited by oldtiger 3/29/2019 08:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)