AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture establishment advice needed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

EarlJay
Posted 3/19/2019 14:00 (#7389230)
Subject: Pasture establishment advice needed.

Southern Ohio
I've had too many irons in the fire lately so I'm calling it quits on my little corn/soybean operation and putting everything into pasture. As of right now, it is all soybean stubble with just a very few acres of corn stubble. I'd like to hear some ideas on getting perennials established on about 80 total acres. This would be mostly for grazing. I don't see myself cutting too much hay on this ground... but I may the first couple years until my herd numbers increase.

A list of what I have on hand...
-no till drill
-3 point cone spreader
-an aggravating old sprayer
-cover crop wheat and rye seed (maybe 15 acres worth) that was going to be a cover/forage crop but I was never able to plant because of the wet fall.

This is mostly a fescue area and that's what is in most of established pastures but I also think it would be good to establish some other forages at this point. I didn't know if I could go in and drill directly into the stubble with my forage of choice and rye/wheat (or oats) as a nurse crop? There are very little weeds showing in the bean stubble right now but I know that will change very soon. The ground is actually surprisingly dry and may be fit to plant soon.

I may have left out some key information but I tend to get too wordy and I'm trying to avoid that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)