AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shelling corn (meaning with a CORN SHELLER) - 2018
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kingbaby
Posted 2/3/2019 11:51 (#7294038 - in reply to #7293904)
Subject: RE: Shelling corn (meaning with a CORN SHELLER) - 2018

Greencastle, Pa.
Ron,Thanks for that. My Dad [1899-1974] farmed with horses until about 1947/48 He had a 1939 9N Ford Tractor but used it to cut hay [horse-mower drug the wheels] did some plowing as well with it.Every thing else was did with the horses. How many know what a "Dump" rake is or have seen one used for "real" not a "Demo"????The first time we [at home] had hay baled [Custom Operator] was with a Case wire-tie baler that had a "seat" on each side of the bale chute. Two of my older brothers [with pliers] rapped the wire together. Back to the corn,general farms most all still cut and shocked corn clean up until the middle to late 1950's Planted wheat after corn was shocked and shucked the corn during the winter. Would shuck two shocks to each "pile" of corn and make one fodder-shock out of two corn shocks. All corn was stored in "cribs" .Used to feed it to the live stock on the ear or shell some for the chickens with a hand sheller [I-H] Any corn to be ground for feed had to be "scooped" out of the cribs into a "old" truck, taken to the local mill,backed on to the "lift" and dumped into the sheller. No "bulk"feed, every thing was in 100lb gunny sacks. I have seen mill hands grab a 100lb sack in each hand an throw them into a truck. The first time I planted "No-Till" corn in 1971 I showed my farther a photo of it [he was in a nursing home] He looked at it and said "Any Damn fool knows that you cant plant corn with out plowing" End of no-till talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go on and on but I'm not much fore writing. "Kingbaby"

Edited by Kingbaby 2/3/2019 11:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)