AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Virginia Tech weed identification site
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 1/18/2019 20:38 (#7254853)
Subject: New Virginia Tech weed identification site

nw NC
I went to the Virginia Tech weed identification site tonight. I had not viewed it in a while. Wow, has it changed ! And I think not for the better. Used to be that you could select from alphabetical list ( A thru Z ) and all weeds with names beginning with chosen letter would be brought up. Now you get to scroll down through a long list of 747 names.

Also used to be that many weeds were listed with their "also known as " names in the alphabetized listing. Not anymore . Only one name , its official common name, is listed. If you know a weed as something other than its official common name you are out of luck. For instance used to be you could select P and search for pigweed. Site would have many pigweeds (redroot, smooth, Palmer, etc.). Now you have to know that you have red root amaranth, smooth pigweed, Palmer Amaranth, etc. Tall waterhemp is listed as roughfruit amaranth. Anyone ever heard it called that? Same way with foxtail. Some weeds are no longer to be found at all.

Some pages have multiple pictures that can be viewed in a close up screen that pops up after you click on your choice of picture. It does not work half the time.

VT weed site used to be the best, most complete on the internet, I thought. No more.

Anyone else found out that it has changed?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)