AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wood working book?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 1/5/2019 06:50 (#7221311 - in reply to #7220912)
Subject: RE: Wood working book?

West of Broken Bow
The main reason I mentioned Roy UnderHill was so that by watching some of his programs you might better grasp wood joinery. Yes, he only uses man-powered tools. I use a mixture of both hand and power tools. Roy and his guests go into detail about wood movement and wood strength as well as other characteristics of different tree species.

Accept making mistakes as you learn and then build on those experiences. Measure twice and cut once is an old saying that was common to hear. On finish work, where tight joinery is crucial, I tend to get overly obsessed on trimming or cutting boards or pieces to the final length. I’ll use finely sharpened pencils or an awl to scribe or mark reference lines with. Then dry fit several times after putting the piece in place. Sometimes when nailing finish work in place you can use smaller nails or fasteners to tack the piece in place before committing to permanently drive the fasteners fully in. It gives you time and the opportunity to make any necessary adjustments. There are a lot of things that only experience can teach you as long as you have a hunger for it and want to keep learning.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)