AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Motivation to Exercise....not a resolution
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

PRNDL
Posted 1/3/2019 13:58 (#7217589 - in reply to #7217440)
Subject: RE: Motivation to Exercise....not a resolution

Texas & western Iowa
I retired in 2006 at about 20 lbs overweight. I'm on a small frame, so that was a lot for me. Like you I took up running, which I enjoyed when I was younger. But kept having nagging injuries from the higher impact of jogging/running. Knees mainly.
Several years later I had a friend dropped off a bicycle that was about to be thrown away. I fixed it up and started riding to my running path. As things progressed, I found that I was anxious to get my running finished so I could get back to enjoying the bike.

A bit later I decided to get a nice road bike, and stop the running all together. I've been able to maintain fitness more than I ever expected for my age. It's hard to describe the motivation. Part of it is just getting out of the house. The feel of a lightweight bike at high speed doesn't hurt either. I usually ride alone, but enjoy several organized endurance rides per year. Here in Texas, most rides offer at least a supported metric century (63 miles).

I ride daily if possible. Usually 20-25 miles. If I'm out and happen to meet up with one of the few other cyclists near me, we'll often do 30-35. I think the key to staying fit is enjoying what you do to stay fit.

Edited by PRNDL 1/3/2019 14:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)