AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wife's arthritic thumb surgery....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dairymanswife
Posted 11/15/2018 11:54 (#7107185 - in reply to #7107078)
Subject: RE: Wife's arthritic thumb surgery....

I had both of my thumbs done three years ago, three months apart. Maybe it isn't quite the same, but sounds similar. It was called Basal Thumb Arthropasty. I had so much pain in my thumbs, plus would drop things. not sure how many plates and glasses, eggs etc I broke. For me they took out the trapezium bone then took a tendon from my arm and cut it, and rolled it up and stuck it in the area they took the bone out. Mine was so bad they had to pin it in place too. Splint for a week, then a cast for 6 weeks, then a custom made brace and OT. Tell your wife it will be worth it. I still can't grab 4 plates out of the dishwasher to put away, but I can grab two at a time and not drop them. Oh, also tell your wife to take it easy on the surgery hand. I had mine done when my mother was moving into a senior apartment and I did a major amount of the boxing things up and carrying boxes. I thought because I had a cast on, it would protect it. Surgeon was very upset with me. That hand did not turn out quite as good, could be from that and it could have been that I slipped and fell, putting my hand down (wearing brace) to block my fall. Good luck to your wife.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)