AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What meds for hogs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

wompass
Posted 9/1/2018 14:10 (#6963484)
Subject: What meds for hogs?

Started raising hogs again after 20 years and I'm having problems with disease, pneumonia and scours. We breed in outdoor lots and then move sows into an old farrowing house for a couple weeks and then move the pigs into a nursery until around 40 pounds and then they go back outside into self feeder lots.

The last round born in the farrowing house almost all had scours and I had a couple litters that wouldn't stop shaking. I always have a handful of pigs that never turn out, don't gain weight and die no matter what. They are usually hunch backed and kind of have a bloated stomach. I have no idea what this is.

None of that is too bad, I think losses are in the acceptable range but now I'm having problems in our outside lots. I had 5 last week that just laid down, gotten their ears eaten off and when I got them out they died soon after. I have one outdoor group now that almost all have mangled ears, a lot of them acting lame.

The only meds I've been giving is iron for newborns and Tylan as needed. I don't know what else I could use to help out. I think a scour vaccine for the sows before they farrow would help but it would be hard to do as they are all outside and hard to work with as it is, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)