AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorguhm Sudan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 9/1/2018 07:32 (#6962848 - in reply to #6962676)
Subject: RE: Sorguhm Sudan

West Central Iowa
I planted mine in late May and took first cutting in mid July. 7-8 foot tall in many places. A wind event that came through in late June did lay some of it down, but it did come back well considering. My discbine had no problem cutting it, but getting all that material (some leaned and twisted different directions from going down) to flow under the hood was some what problematic. Used a DCX 131 which is the same as a NH 1431. I chop mine so put it in the tightest windrow I could so it could hold the moisture better and give me a bigger window to chop since I mostly work by myself. I cut 1/2 the field on Saturday, 1/2 on Sunday, then chopped on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Only a couple of loads "juiced" in the bagger and by Wednesday afternoon it was getting drier than I wanted.

The leaves dry out fairly fast, but the stalks is where the moisture hangs on the longest. I'm not sure your weather forecast, how many acres you have, or your storage method but I WOULD NOT plan on waiting 7 days before it is dry enough to chop. I lay mine in a tight windrow because I have options to help remove moisture from forages (raking or leave it lay longer), but if I lay it wide and it gets too dry in good drying conditions, there aren't many good options for putting moisture back into the crop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)