AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baler fire threads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JDNWA
Posted 8/6/2018 08:20 (#6913855 - in reply to #6913036)
Subject: RE: Baler fire threads

Northwest Arkansas
I can attest that extinguishers can save you. I my self support my farming habit by being a career fireman and yes a table spoon of dawn in a water extinguisher does a world of good. The dawn is used as a surfactant, which breaks down the surface tension, in a sense it makes the water wetter. I saved my baler from my post two weeks ago by getting on it quick. I didn’t extinguish the fire I just cooled it and held it until the FD got on scene. I also used and ABC extinguisher(normal powder) to buy a little extra time. And as one post stated your thumb over the nozzle is the way to go, this breaks up the stream giving more water droplets to convert to steam. Steam is your friend when you have a limited supply of water. Pull that thing off of your equipment and train yourself to use it before the day you need it. They are easy to recharge, 30 minutes of training could save you thousands. That said if you still have a bale in the chamber your fighting a loosing battle. Kick the bale out (if you can) reduce your fire load then use the extinguisher. Most probably know this information but maybe this can help someone save their equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)