AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sick holstein bottle calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nhermanson
Posted 8/2/2018 20:01 (#6907881)
Subject: sick holstein bottle calf

Central, IA
I'll start by saying I'm not a cattle guy.

We raised a Holstein bottle calf for my son's 4-h project this year. We had fair last week and everything went well. He is 4 months old and weighed in at 300lbs.

When I went to feed him last night, I noticed he was a bit sluggish and had diarrhea. He had tipped over his water bucket as well. He looked dehydrated, but wasn't interested in drinking from the bucket, so I gave him a bottle of milk replacer. He drank that very well. I also gave him a bottle of electrolytes last night and then 3 today throughout the day.

He is definitely perkier today, doesn't look overly dehydrated, but doesn't have much appetite. His stools are a soft, but not watery diarrhea like yesterday. He did have a little snot on his nose this morning. He did eat a little of his calf starter mix and a little hay, but not anything close to what he was eating a couple days ago.

I haven't taken his temp, might do that tonight. I gave a some pro-biotic today, but no antibiotics.

I still have a bag of milk replacer. Should I give him a bottle or two to get some more nutrients in him until he starts eating his grain again? He was weaned 7-8 weeks ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)