AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reducing hay waste and usage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 7/29/2018 17:07 (#6899906 - in reply to #6899794)
Subject: RE: Reducing hay waste and usage

Southern IA
Saskyfarmer - 7/29/2018 16:09

So with all the drought around here I am short on hay, and I mean a lot. I need to find a way to keep my 400 head herd of ewes full on 300 5x6 round bales, but I usually use 500 bales. I am getting a bale shredder for the fall to help chop up some of the coarser stuff to make it more platabile, but I know it's not going to save me that much. So far all I have been feeding during the winter only hay, but I am thinking that I'm going to have to start feeding pellets as well, which will help cut down on waste as well, but I know that's still not going to be enough. So I would just like to see if anyone on here has an idea on what else i could do. I can only buy so much machinery though, so also getting a TMR is out of the question, because at that point I am going to have to sell a bunch of ewes, which I don't really want to do as if I end up doing that I will be losing a lot of money. Also going to be feeding a lot earlier then normal as the pasture is really drying up, which puts even more strain on what little hay I have.

Buy a load of soyhulls or some kind of grain, wheat. Barley, oats to replace forage with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)