AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thin calves.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bohunk
Posted 7/27/2018 23:29 (#6896917 - in reply to #6896393)
Subject: RE: Thin calves.

Q500 - 7/27/2018 18:44

My experience they are chronics but more specifically they have been doctored enough or stressed while getting antibiotics that have killed off the beneficial bacteria in the gut, as well as damaged lungs its tough to get them to turn around.  I have had good success with my own style of "fecal transplant".  Pretty interesting subject if you have never looked into it I highly suggest googling that term.  Nothing really cattle specific but it sheds some light on the side effects of antibiotics on beneficial bacteria.  So my "fecal transplant" is to get a quart ziplock turn it inside out and pick up a small handful of known healthy fresh cow poop, preferably something on the same or similar ration as the patient.  Once you have that in hand put a handful of activated charcoal in it zip it up and mix well hopefully making it into a paste type of consistency.  I throw it in the fridge over night to firm it up even more then make my own bolusus.  The yuck factor is nil to nothing the charcoal takes all the odor and most of the yuck out of the process.  You can get the big snap together gel caps from your vet.  Once you make them freeze them or the gelcap will melt.  I have had very good look treating chronics this way.  It is not a fast turn around could take as much as 90 days.

What do you mean by "activated charcoal"?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)