AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Feed Grade" calcium carbonate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sparrell
Posted 7/26/2018 07:19 (#6893366 - in reply to #6892873)
Subject: RE: "Feed Grade" calcium carbonate

Bluedog - 7/25/2018 21:36

I have started to used more DDGs and I need to supplement Calcium to keep the Ca/P ratio right. So I picked up some 50# bags from a feed plant several months ago.

It says right on the bag its for feed rations, but I can't remember the brand name. Its from Iowa.

Nevertheless, its just quarry limestone. And what I am concerned about is that its not a fine grind at all. The lime I spread on fields for pH is much finer than this is. And you can't cruch those aggregates with my fingers, nor can I crush them with anything harder like a pocketknife. Those are limestone rocks.

Is this normal for limestone calcium supplements? Are their stomach juices strong enough to dissolve these? I would think I don't really want to feed this to brood cows that live long lives, I would think these stones could really wear their teeth down.

What about just taking a loader bucket of lime I use to spread on my fields home to use for calcium
supplement? Any reason that wouldn't be a LOT better since its such a fine grind? I actually use water treatment lime for that, and that stuff is basically a powder when it dries out. And a $10 ton of that would last for YEARS.

Ours does not look like that, it’s much finer and more uniform. I’ll try to get a pic later if I remember.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)