AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some NC Iowa aerial photos
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mafrif
Posted 7/9/2018 13:11 (#6859049 - in reply to #6858326)
Subject: RE: Those are great picture, much thanks but if you ....

NC Iowa

farmer4321 - 7/9/2018 04:30 Those are some great pictures, and thanks but if you had to guess what percentage of the total area look like that or show evidence of damage? The thing to remember is that we're early enough so that fields with some considerable damage can/will go on to make some yield. Particularly with soybeans which are relatively indeterminate. Soybeans can grow new leaves & stems, continue to put on new flowers and pods as long as they haven't yet started to fill the existing pods

It's hard to guess, I was actually surprised how bad it looked from the air, driving around it doesn't seem quite as bad, but with the corn getting taller its hard to see very far into fields.  I think the majority of the damaged areas aren't gonna improve much.  Many of the poor areas are a combo of working ground to wet/ compaction from big tractors and planters, and then getting even more rain those same wet spots, majority of ground is 100% preplant N, if its that bad now I don't have much hope for those areas, a lot of the corn in the poor areas are 2-3' tall.

Soybeans I'm not worried about, they could still yield 40 or 80, who knows.

Striptill and notill worked well this spring, we planted 5% of our fields to wet, but it was very forgiving as we kept getting rains and everything came up.  We sidedress NH3 on most all the corn acres, so wasn't really worried about N loss early in the year, 75% of total N went on sidedress.

About the windmills.  They pay close to 4 or 5k a year, plus payment for roads and easements.  I really don't mind farming around them, they are very nice in a wet fall when semi's can stay on gravel road.  Worse part about them is tiling and aerial applications around them.  Some will still do aerial apps around them, some won't.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)