AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can you out yield last year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 6/24/2018 19:15 (#6831802 - in reply to #6831691)
Subject: RE: Just looked back

Nw Iowa
I agree, last years cool aug was a miracle. We had much better looking crops in 16 than 17, but 17 out yielded 16 by 7-10 bpa. This year we will be lucky to be within 30 bu of last year and that is everything goes good from here. More realistic is 40-45 bpa below. That is not being negative, it is just reality. 2-5% drowned out, some places more, 1/2 to 3/4 planted after may 20, 1/2 of that around last week of May to June 5th. ( most corn wasn't started here till after middle of May) A lot of corn starting to turn yellow as some areas have had rain for almost 3 weeks. Than throw in some prevent plant and nitrogen that is not being put on timely and late weed problems as nobody has sprayed here for 10 days. I think Martin county which is in bottom tier of counties in Minnesota is bulls eye but a lot of troubles along state line as most had the 3-7in rain last wed night. Some didn't get as much but got more earlier. Everything is backed up, if you have a main dumping in a creek your water isn't going anywhere. The trouble is that it is just not the big rain last week but we have been fighting too much moisture since the late April blizzards. Creeks, ditches and whole system has been running full since snow melt. Corn roots are very shallow so if we do get a late season dry spell corn will not weather it like normal. Crops as a whole don't look that bad for what we have went thru but we keep chipping away at yield potential rather than adding.Not complaining as our last spring this bad was in 1993 and problems are in the field and not in the home. Had wet years since but not relentless like this year and 93. Right now I think if you gave most of the farmers here a choice, they wish they had taken more prevent plant acres and not struggled so hard to get last part of crop in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)