AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shocking Stat on Suicide
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cuzn eddy
Posted 5/24/2018 12:22 (#6776634 - in reply to #6776404)
Subject: RE: Shocking Stat on Suicide

Midwest
It's a terrible problem, however context is important here. Suicide is more prevalent in rural areas and farmers by and large live in rural areas, veterans live in rural and urban areas. If all veterans lived in rural areas would that change the numbers? The rural/urban divide is clear across the nation regardless of state laws, and it is also true across the globe.

There are many contributing factors it seems also. Access to mental health care, social connections, stress, and others. Access to guns is touted as a contribution factor but it is unclear since just having a gun in your house, even if it is not used to commit suicide, raises the chances of a successful suicide. It obviously wasn't the gun that caused it so we need to think and look deeper. My opinion is partly that because rural people are more likely to own a gun they are also further from medical care and someone finding them in a timely manner, on top of that the rural person may be more knowledgeable and therefore more successful. Is an independent attitude a factor too? Unwilling to ask for help or the I'll do it myself attitude?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)