AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

this is the dryest wet spell...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Chief Illiniwek
Posted 5/12/2018 23:17 (#6757573 - in reply to #6757408)
Subject: RE: this is the dryest wet spell...

West central IL
Your points are well taken and I appreciate the reasonableness of your tone.

As far as seeming like less than normal rainfall because of the abundance of previous years, yes that's true but I'm not lying when I personally know of some neighbors wells that were dry this fall that hadn't been dry in the guy's lifetime who lives there, 70+ years. 2012 was absolutely worse than 16 or 17 because of timing, but you can understand the concern over the lack of subsoil moisture.

The biggest thing is the constant use of "crying wolf" and the anger when anyone hears someone say "better than expected". As I mentioned below, I reported as of August 1st or so last year that agronomists were finding around 200, and then the abnormally cool August must've been the difference because yields truly were "better than expected" the month and a half before. You'd think you'd have crapped in guys cereal to tell them that. Or of course there's the guys saying boy they don't know their fields at all, or they're scouting at 60 mph. I was reporting what I was hearing from agronomists, not other farmers. Guys with no skin in the game.

When I do chime in on here I truly do try and give my honest opinion, and I appreciate others doing the same. And by the way, planting went well and emergence is excellent in these parts. Get some moisture and cool nights and this area is looking at strong yields. That said, and nobody throw a wrench at me, we could use a rain haha.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)