AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on farm business network?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

senodak
Posted 9/20/2017 21:11 (#6260372 - in reply to #6259482)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on farm business network?

I will say that I'm glad I joined up. The things that you can get off of it - seed, chem, fert prices - you don't have to buy from them, but it is a nice measuring stick to see where you are at relative to what can be had out there. And they also have a database of identical seed varieties, which is really interesting. When yieldpop did it through this site everyone loved it... until they got bought out and all of the info mysteriously disappeared.

On the data side of things, there are a lot of companies getting into big data. Your individual data isn't worth much... it's the aggregate data that potentially has value. I like that they clean up the yield files and put it into an interface where I can start to actually see things with my data by overlaying yield maps with numerous other maps. If you aren't utilizing your data on your own this way without a third party, you aren't extracting any value from your data. Fieldview, Farmer's Edge, Encirca, FBN, Farmlogs are all companies getting into this for big data. So this isn't something just FBN is doing. I can certainly understand those that are uncomfortable with this idea but if you aren't getting value out of your data what worse? Allowing your data to be part of a huge database on the web while getting valuable insight in return, or having data that never leaves the display in the cab?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)