AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building barbed wire fence
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JPT
Posted 8/17/2017 13:03 (#6193031 - in reply to #6188655)
Subject: RE: Building barbed wire fence

My .02 To SWND's original question, I would stretch every 1/4 whether it be to a single well set post or an H brace. Like ntex said, it's to difficult to get the wire stretched tight with the resistance of the wire dragging across the ground unless you have several teenage boys running back and forth throwing the wire up in the air to get the slack out. I built a 1/2 mile years ago w/o any braces in between just to see if I could and I had my help go down the fence driving a T post every so often while I watched with binoculars from one end to the other to guide him left or right so we could get the first wire straight. It's just not worth it. I understand what happytrails is saying, if you have a intermediate brace with equal and opposite forces acting on it, then what's the point? The point is for convenience in construction I believe.

With regard to the position of the horizontal brace, it doesn't matter where it is located. The mechanical advantage remains the same, only changes if you were to place horizontal brace at a angle other than horizontal which you don't see very often and is not a good idea imo. In the diagram you see that if you move point A a theoretical 1.00" with C and F being pivots then point C still attempts to move the same amount of .900"(approx.) in both structures. As you move the horizontal brace up or down the mechanical advantage you gain on one end is cancelled out on the other end keeping the M.A. at or near 1:1. I personally like the horizontal brace in the middle (like Mccoyranchs brace) as it (the horizontal member) seems to stay in place better (because of the mechanical advantage the cross wire has to hold it in place) but it is personal preference only.

All brace designs will fail if there are enough wires stretched tight enough, only they fail differently....both post lean....corner post pulled out..whole brace rotated out of the ground..etc. Take notice of the different designs as you drive around the country. The one exception I've seen to this rule is steel post H brace welded up rigid (two or more horizontals) concreted in with holes BELLED out at the bottom which takes more work than most people are willing to do including me.

Now watch, a week from now someone will ask the same question, I'm out!!!

Edited by JPT 8/17/2017 15:07

(IMG953533.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG953533.jpg (147KB - 90 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)