AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clay soils and Soybeans.. how to make bricks..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 5/27/2017 09:21 (#6040152 - in reply to #6039936)
Subject: RE: Clay soils and Soybeans.. how to make bricks..

Hi Jon,

Sorry to see you continue to be wet.   I do feel for you guys drowning. It is frustrating...been there.   My point was that here, we expect mother nature to make our planting window small. This has come from decades of being spanked.  When I talk to contacts in the plains or SE, the mentality is shockingly different. You have been conditioned to expect a big planting window, and expect to worry about not being wet enough.  But, give it a few more years of spankings, and you will be mechanized to plant those 100 quarters much quicker too. Used 24 row planters are getting pretty cheap.  Just need to truck them from where they are to where they need to be.

There is quite a bit to go around here too. There is clay not to far to the north, and they have not been able to get done either.  A agronomist contact told me he figures 80% of the corn is in.  60% of the beans in his area....basically NE IA - most of it the corn is in the "clay hills" to the north of us. Alot of corn isn't even visible from the road locally and it's basically June 1st.  The ground got marginally fit Thursday evening, and I was surprised how many lights were on when the sun went down so there is work left to be done here too.  Also, alot of those made one round with those 24 row planters and left the field, leaving mud strewn down the road.

Take care

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)