AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

air pump systems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmboy99
Posted 11/9/2008 14:11 (#501751 - in reply to #501167)
Subject: RE: air pump systems

SE South Dakota
I've been using a 20hp, 5" systems for 12 years now and just love it. Simple to use and simple to install, ie new bins, just add a pipe to the top!
One thing I haven't liked much is the noise the system made in the past, loud! Well I have checked into mufflers for the system in the past and was always told they are expensive and will not do much to improve my noise problem. You can have one on the intake and one on the exhaust end of the air pump. I decided this summer I've "heard" enough from my system so I went ahead and ordered one muffer from DMC, the brand of system I own. ($450.00) Well it came and for the life of me I am sure that all it is is a 5" truck muffler with a added layer of sheet metal around the outside, welded on. You can see also where they just welded some 5" pipes onto each end of the muffler to make it match up to their piping. I put this onto the intake end of the pump this summer and it made quite an improvement on the noise. So I then proceeded to buy a 5" truck muffler ($65.00) to put on the exhaust end and wow it is alot quieter. I can't see where it cut the capacity of the system at all, but I could be mistaken on this point.

Believe me I wish I would have done this 12 years ago. I have a Suberb dryer with the quiet fans and I'm sure that the dryer makes more noise than the air system now. My neighbor 1/4 mile behind our place and my wife will tell you it is alot better!
Next years project is to set up a collection system for those awful beeswings! I like the old seed bulk bag idea, but does the bag need some kind of vent when you blow the beeswings in? Snow on the ground and on the corn now, maybe I should get at some R&D on this project to experiment. I think I should collect them right at the discharge of the dryer and before the corn entered the airlock, sound about right? Would just a simple 12" grain bin aeration fan suck and blow the beeswings to one of these bulk bags?

Jim J

Edited by farmboy99 11/9/2008 15:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)