AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Needhamized JD 1590. Planting wheat. (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/29/2008 09:35 (#493331)
Subject: Needhamized JD 1590. Planting wheat. (pics)

Hi all. Finally got my markers from deere monday at noon. Now I can get back to planting. This is wheat on wheat. The spot I took these pics is a drown out spot. Thats the only way to get a couple clear pics of the operation.

Anyway, field was sprayed with glyphosate sunday the 19th of this month. The previous wheat was the spring wheat I posted several boring threads about in the spring using the coulter attachments from Ron's manufacturing. Here's a few pics of the 1590 as it is now. It has the Martin 20 point closers and now the Needham V=8 firming wheels. I have a Keeton firmer that I was going to put on to get a 3 way comparison, but I did'nt want to deal with draggin any wheat trash after reading that was a possibility.

One pic of the machine with the new markers. I goofed and installed them according to instructions, when I really needed to mount them inward another 2.5' so I can get the mark groove under my front tires instead of the center of the tractor. I dont feel like loosening those duratorque nuts and moving them just now, and the field is flat, so I'll survive for now.

Here's an excellent view of how things are working. IE: perfectly.

Yep, the V-8 is doing its job right on. The wheel fits right down inside the trench and presses the seed into the soil very nicely. I am leaving the down pressure at maximum for now, both on the firming wheels and the closing wheels.

Another view of the V-8 in the slot with the 20 point coming right behind it. You can see we still have fairly good moisture. This is solely because the field is no-till. If it were conventionally tilled, it would be dry as a bone. We could use a good warm rain however.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these dimples the closers leave do. I think they may work well as a water retainer for certain years. This field was a rowed tall fescue seed field, planted round and round. Of course then last spring there was no way we going to go accross the rows planting or vertical tilling. But now I want to start going back and forth, so I have to "pay the piper" so to speak. That is some of the reason I'm leaving full down pressure on the closers and firmers, but I am going very slow accross the rows to get a good job of seeding and closing. Average, I'm only getting 8 acres an hour. But..........

I had to get 2 views of the firming wheels comparison to hopefully get a better idea of just how greatly the V-8 works over the stock JD, especially on this older machine. Here's 2 pics of the same thing, just a different angle. Notice the JD firming wheels are doing the same thing as before in the ryegrass, just crushing the slot, not firming anything. I changed the wheel out as I shut down last night. Now its all V-8s.

Second view of comparison.

Thanks for looking. Hope to get more pics as I get more planted. I still have one more fescue field to plant into wheat yet. I hope to have my "pre-trench cutter" installed before I plant it, but we'll see how time allows.

Edited by Old Pokey 10/29/2008 09:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)