AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

white mold last year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbweston
Posted 3/29/2017 10:46 (#5930153 - in reply to #5929297)
Subject: some things I have learned.

Central Ohio
1. Lower your pops. Maybe 100k or 120k?

2. Cobra often helps, enabling the plant develop a systemic resistance, however, it needs applied at the V3-V5ish stage, NOT the R stages. The goal is to have the resistance BEFORE flowering. The WM spores infect the soybean through the flowers.

3. Notill is good. It means the spore pods near the surface mostly grew last year in the corn and did not have a way to reproduce. Tillage will bring up some from deeper and give them a new shot at life in your beans.

4. Supposedly Contans WG works. Have a neighbor that swears by it. It is friendly fungus that eats the WM spores pods. I hope so because I have spend some money on it for a couple years. We will see as our problem farm is going to beans this year. It needs at least a couple months to work and likes cool weather in the fall and spring. I supposed it is not yet too late to put some down for this year yet, since flowering is still 2 or 3 months away. However, make sure you are getting new stuff, because it doesn't survive on the shelf more than a couple weeks unless it is below freezing. And don't mix it with fertilizer. Herb is ok, so they say. It must be lightly incorporated by a soaking rain or light tillage within a week or two of app or UV rays will break it down.

Last time this farm was in beans, the yeild went from 80 bu to 30 and 40 bu in the areas that were infected. Overall average was 60 bu/ac, but should have been around 80.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)