AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric fence under transmission line
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

heartlandfarmer
Posted 3/29/2017 07:09 (#5929774 - in reply to #5929326)
Subject: RE: Electric fence under transmission line

NC ia
Jim - 3/28/2017 21:48

A 600 kv line is a very high voltage power line. Maybe it's charged to "only" 350 kv but maybe not at all times. Even 350 kv is higher than most of the older lines.  What is most likely happening is that the current through the HV line above is inducing a current in your fence which is frying the chargers.  By the right-hand rule, a flow of current in a wire in the direction of your RH thumb causes an electrical field around the wire in the direction of your curled RH fingers. 

That field is doing the reverse in your fence: a field caused by the high voltage line will induce a current in your fence wire which is frying the electric fence chargers.

A current in a wire induces a field and a field induces a current in a wire.

I suspect the linemen you spoke with knew what the problem is, they just did not want to be the ones to tell you.

Some time ago there was someone on here who received a strongly shock when he was working on his combine feederhouse chain when under a high voltage line. If you take a standard flourescent lamp tube out under that line at night, the field will usually cause the flourescent light to glow just holding it in your hand.  The current in that line may vary through the day, depending on the grid demand where it serves.

I suspect the others that have not had problems under a high voltage line are running under one at less voltage, and/or running at a different angle to the line.

Is your fence running more or less parallel to the high voltage line above?  You might try crossing under the line at right angles and keeping any parallel fences a long way from the high voltage line. But still a matter of degree, especially when it does go up to 600 kv in the future.

It is NOT the fencer's fault, they are not designed to be back fed in from the fence.  Good luck.

I'm sure the lineman knew
What the problem is just didn't know what to do about it.

What I would maybe suggest doing on the section that runs by HV line is run 2 wires or maybe 3. Ground 1 or 2 of the wires too a GOOD ground ( maybe a ground rod on each end of the wire) and then insulate and isolate the last wire from ground or any other part of your fence. You will probably want to make sure you can hook it up to a fencer incase they switch the line out for maintenance.

I'm going to doubt that the line is 600kv or even 500 kv, but as you stated most likely a 345kv which has become a popular HV for transmission.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)