AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil test rec?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rvincent
Posted 3/28/2017 21:45 (#5929320 - in reply to #5928104)
Subject: RE: Soil test rec?

Polk City IA
Based on what you have given, the first thing you need to find is a gypsum source. Based on these levels and assuming it is constant across the whole field, you need to spread 2 ton/acre to shock the soil and start flushing out the Mg. Mg causes water infiltration issues due to poor soil structure. If you need some help finding a source, please contact me I can pass on some numbers for you to call. Next your K levels are extremely high. In the near term you need to plant determinate hybrids. Stay away from flex hybrids until you get the K% levels to 5% or lower.

What's your Nitrogen application(s) timing plans right now and planned rates? Assuming you plant a determinate type variety you can put a large majori90% of your N rate in the UAN form (28 or 32) as near to planting as possible. Best way is to apply with the planter in a side band. The objective is to treat every plant the same. The N credit of 40 lbs makes sense in season based on your OM levels.

The infurrow starter will be beneficial in your soils; however be very careful with the salt levels in a 6-24-6 or 10-34-0. You may want to explore other options that eliminate the salt concerns from 10-34-0 derivatives. Also, Zn is a decent start to add to the infurrow; however the plant also needs other nutrients in a more available source at germination.

For future, if you are only doing a composite soil sample or grid sampling move to sampling by soil type. Also, get not only a P1 level but ask for a P2 reading. What's available and what's in the bank??? Need more information to comment on the need for any immediate dry P spreading.

Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you would like to talk directly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)