AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizer Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 3/25/2017 08:17 (#5921281 - in reply to #5918360)
Subject: RE: Fertilizer Advice

Bourbon,Indiana

dg25 - 3/23/2017 21:54 I enjoy seeing some off your thoughts and ideas. Good to hear from you guys, other than fertilizer salesman. Just talking p and k. Have a farm that has an average p of 85 lbs/acre and k is averaging 331lbs/acre. It was gps grid sampled last fall. Put fertilizer on for 15 crop but nothing for 16 crop and took a corn yield of 225 off it. Thoughts?

dg25,

P -- 85lbs = 42.5ppm

K -- 331lbs = 165.5ppm

"Here" in a 170bu corn / 52 bu bean scenario......

Phos... I would not add any, unless as a starter band for corn as I no-till into cooler soils. We are getting too much dissolved Phosphorus coming off our ground, so I plan on drawing down my P levels from the old 30-35ppm(60-70lb) targets.... to now 20-25ppm(40-50lb). That is still in the "adequate" range for Corn & Soy crops, and will lower the amount of dissolved P which could potentially leave my fields via tile, or runoff.

Potash... I generally try to keep my K levels in the 125-150ppm(250-300lb) range. So with your levels I would not worry about spreading any.....or perhaps a removal(maintenance) rate if anything.

Again, the above is how I would approach your test results in a loamy/ sandy/silty soil with a CEC avg in the low teens. You will have to factor in your own yield goals and soil characteristics.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)