AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Butcher question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 3/23/2017 23:00 (#5918732 - in reply to #5915218)
Subject: RE: Butcher question

Some of these small town butcher shops hire any average Joe they can train to cut up the main cuts and grind the rest while paying affordable wages. Heck I worked for a small town grocery store and a large regional grocery chain and both sold flat iron steaks. It takes a little extra work to break up a shoulder clod but the price you can charge for that cut easily makes up for the extra minutes it takes for a good butcher to cut it. I get a little frustrated even with the local locker my in-laws use when they nit pick and charge more over stew meat and how we ask for how they cut the prime cuts even. They already grind scraps so it shouldn't be a pain top cube up some scraps from the rump and shoulder for stew meat and I could care less about sirloin roasts because you can easily cut those up into tip steaks. When I see them promoting award winning meats that they sell in their fresh and frozen meat cases I know that they should have no issue meeting my requests on how a steer is processed. After learning some skills from working in the meat rooms of grocery stores if I have to purchase any pork or beef that wasn't raised by a family member I will just buy the whole pork or beef loin or beef clod because I can break it down and get the cuts I want without having to pay the overpriced mark up prices for them.

If you aren't scared to use a knife and cut up a big chunk of meat then buy your meat unprocessed at the store and cut it how you like. You'll save a bunch of money by cutting it up the way you like it and if you are paying a locker to process your meat and they won't fulfill your requests then just ask them to keep those cuts intact and cut them up yourself or better yet find a locker that won't balk at your requests.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)