AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bud box/alley
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bobbyg
Posted 3/20/2017 15:08 (#5911694)
Subject: bud box/alley

EC IL
I am trying to set up a handling facility from scratch. My old barn burnt. I want to have two rows of 12 x 12 pens with a 14'w alley between them.

each pen will have a bow gate that opens into the alley. How big of bow gates should I use? The combo panels only have 4' ones. Like to use wider ones I think. Sometimes they have trouble seeing a 4 footer. 12' bow gate maybe? The closed end would be a 4' walk thru and a maternity pen.

The open end of the box would have a straight adjustable alley going off at a 90 degree angle. Basically bring them in, swing an angled solid gate behind them that would reach the adjustable alley that goes to the chute. Then bring them back.

I cant justify a double alley for this Midwestern cow/calf operation I don't believe. Will they go up a single alley ok? The entrance is half as wide of course. Will it work for cows/calves as good as it seems to work with fat cattle?

I had a tub and alley before. Loaded it with a bud box (alley between two buildings) It wasn't exactly to Hoyle and we didn't realize it had a name, but it worked pretty good. Tub had its weaknesses, but beat the heck out of what we were used to. I'm going to try it without the tub this time around.

Will I be happy with this layout? Any critiques?

Thanks in advance

Edited by bobbyg 3/21/2017 17:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)