AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Its always something with a snifle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jncia
Posted 3/14/2017 06:20 (#5898114 - in reply to #5897979)
Subject: RE: Its always something with a snifle

north central iowa
I am and always will be a believer in vaccinating. Especially upon arrival. Sure vaccines stress calves by stimulating the immune system. But its better than dealing with a viral storm on unvaccinated calves. Are vaccines 100% effective? Hell no. I know I'm speaking in general terms with vaccines but there is no doubt in my mind it allows the animal to handle the challenge. Yes you will find people that never vaccinate their calves and get a long fine. But are you comparing apples to apples. A closed herd vs co-mingling groups of calves from a sale barn. Each year is different (weather, feed, bacteria/viruses). Don't second guess vaccinating, but you will have to adapt your vaccine protocol based upon disease challenges. The human flu vaccine is not 100% effective. Each year the vaccine manufacturer puts the most current strains in their vaccine. Some years works well, some years not so much. The vaccine keeps the general population from being persistent shedders and handle the exposure challenge with a quicker turn around. My rant for the day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)