AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cattlefeeder
Posted 2/27/2017 20:27 (#5867440 - in reply to #5867350)
Subject: RE: Garvo

Central Kansas
garvo - 2/27/2017 19:55

you didn't rile me at all-just trying to help the cowman understand why-I do things and what I buy-as far as shots you are dead wrong here-I have seen a 10-$15 a hundred discount on calves with no shots-I really like buying Iowa green tagged calves- not weaned-which makes them not elegiable for a green tag sale-but I will pay the same for them as I have no trouble weaning a calf that had shots- ibr, bvd, brsv, pi3, 7-way clostridia and haemophilus somnus. Must be treated for internal and external parasites -castrated and dehorned-typically its about $12-15 ahead
so on a 500# calf its $3 a hundred- I have a ton of trouble with cattle with no shots-to the point they have to be $100 a head cheaper-bought one string of the nicest black heifers ever-they weighed 600# and were $14 back from other cattle that week-I have been having problems and we are on week 5-
here you bring cattle to the Iowa sale barn's you will be nailed from $1 to $20 a hundred-depending on who is there that day-for a $600 calf-$15 seems like a small investment compared to getting $500

What do you figure it costs to give the shots, parasites treatment, dehorning, and castration. Then the cost of running them through the chute. How much of a premium is a producer actually getting after going through all that. And just to set the record straight I always have my calves weaned at least 45 days with 2 rounds of shots. Castrated, poured, and no implants. So I feel I have always been rewarded for the work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)