AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Delaying Estrus in young Heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John Deere CCA
Posted 2/26/2017 20:52 (#5865516)
Subject: Delaying Estrus in young Heifers

South East SD
Without getting into a discussion on changing my ration and other discussions I don't want to explore. Is there anyway to delay estrus in young heifer calves other than adding an MGA to the feed.

We are back grounding heifers on a self feeder/free choice hay program. I would like to delay estrus (riding purposes) for all and possibly synchronize some for breeding of these 700lb heifers till the 1st of May. I was told since my supplement includes Rumensin that MGA is a no go with our supplement, and that switching to one with Bovitech which is complatable would nullify the limiter in our feed program and cause a train wreck. I know the easy answer is get a feeder wagon (well maybe next year) but is there any other way or non feed product that would delay estrus that long of duration and still be able to shut it off then its time to breed or goto the sale barn. These girls were implanted with RalGrow on the 23rd of January at about 580lbs. I really don't want to implant with a hotter implant to keep them viable as breed able heifers Thanks any advice is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)