AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tightening a gib key
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/21/2008 09:38 (#487109 - in reply to #486929)
Subject: RE: tightening a gib key

Drive the key. The pulley will have many times the surface area as the key and will be tougher to move once it starts getting tight. The key will move into the pulley a lot easier. That, and the pulley needs to be aligned properly first, then held in alignment while the key (locking devise) is driven in to keep the pulley in alignment. I dont know what to tell you about lubing the key and pulley. I know that I dont allways follow instructions like I should, but so far, knock on wood, I have'nt had too many issues with putting grease or never sieze on surfaces that the instructions say not to. A gibbed pulley will fit the shaft loosely without the key. So I would tend to not worry too much about greasing the pulley to shaft surface, but I would definately lube the key very well with never sieze.

That's how I would do it. I have only worked on a gibbed pulley a couple times on the combine. Removing the original was a fun experience that I suggest everyone that supports the factory engineers have the joy to experience at least once in their miserable lives. I think I read the service manual about removing the key and installing the new one, but since it did'nt work the way the book said it would, imagine that, I tend to use other methods for the task from then on. I really dont know the written proper way to tighten the key. I only know what makes sense to me and has worked now for many years. If you come accross some info on the right way, and it works, I'd sure like to know about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)