AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Creation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 2/8/2017 09:05 (#5825008 - in reply to #5824373)
Subject: RE: Creation

North of London
So let me explain a little.
As I understand the calendar we use now, Gregorian, was based on the Julian calendar. Since the Julian was not accurate enough and was getting out of sync with the seasons.
The Julian was begun many years ago and was begun 'x' many years after the beginning of the Roman calendar ( not sure what the name of that was or the actual date in the Roman calendar which was/is based on the beginning of the Roman empire) but was supposed to be from the birth ofJesus BUT it has later been established that the date was wrong because of history of who was ruling in Rome when he was supposed to have been born but is within a few years of being correct so yes the calendar we have now is roughly within just a few years, 4-8 I think, of being correct for jesus birth year according to the stories about him, particularly his being born in the rule of Herod.

Not sure what that has to do with my other comments but look at the list of Roman rulers and Augustus was ruling around the turn of the calendar from BC to AD or the supposed life time of jesus.

I can not speak for Desk Jockey but do not see anything wrong with what he said since only a very small % of the population was able to read and write at that time.

BUT there was written word long before that and my comment about a 'tablet' was a feeble attempt at humour since mostly they were using parchment and papyrus to write on at that time and there are written records from that time but as far as I know no contemporary writings about this jesus who was supposed to be carrying out miraculous things which should have been newsworthy

So I do not see any contradiction, only a few were able to read and write but there is still records of written documents from many years before then. Early forms were written on clay tablets and lasted better than parchment and papyrus. Tablets go back several thousand years before AD 1

Parts of the bible are over 2,000 years but the bible itself was put together around 1700 years ago from many different writings and stories and there is no record of what the first copies of those stories were only copies of copies and yes they did change, were changed deliberately some times and by errors in the hand written copies at other times.

A doctor telling me I have cancer would base that opinion on results of tests and his/her knowledge.
I would of course think they were correct as they would have no reason to deliberately tell me otherwise.

Any gods that you think are around have never been shown to be in existence by any tests only by people who are making their living from having you believe that they are telling you the truth.

Interesting that you would use an analogy of cancer and religion. Some people think religion is a cancer on society.

BTW if we are accurate Corinthians was written a little less than 2000 years ago.
But who is blind? Those who 'see' something that there is no evidence of existing or those who say we are waiting for some evidence before 'just believing' in things that are beyond the reality of the world we live in?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)