AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is digging up the yard?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/18/2017 17:48 (#5777021 - in reply to #5776894)
Subject: RE: What is digging up the yard?

Pocket gopher, not moles. Mole don't leave those piles, moles raise a ridge of sod.

You can probably gas them with exhaust from a car or truck with a hose into the run under an end pile. Dig down to open up the run. I haven't tried that. I've heard of using anhydrous ammonia that way in fields.

I have trapped many with a Victor #0 spring trap. Dig down to the run and clean it. Put the trap at the end of the run, drive a stake into the ground to anchor the trap's chain, cover the hole you dig with a plank or a garbage can lid and make sure its got enough dirt at the sides to keep light out. If the gopher sees light it will push a pile of dirt in front of it and trip the trap. Check the trap a couple times a day, more traps catch more gophers per day.

Lately I have been feeding the gophers with Tomcat rat and mouse bait chunks (like an inch square and a couple inches long). I dig down to the burro and slip a chunk or two of the bait in the hole and then fill the dirt back in. I don't see any more digging activity in that part of the yard. There are baits made for specifically for gophers, I'm not sure they work as good.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)