AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

We are using drones to help identify and locate crop damage in fields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

satman
Posted 1/12/2017 10:55 (#5762512 - in reply to #5760747)
Subject: RE: We are using drones to help identify and locate crop damage in fields

Langdon, ND
I'm curious myself as I work closely with crop insurance as well. Have you had trouble with the scalability of using drones on the extensive acres you cover? Are you processing the data and using infrared imagery or just using basic video and RGB pictures?

One idea I've had for awhile is instead of relying on one type of remote sensing technology like drones/UAVs use multiple formats for different types of claims and processes. I work very closely as well with satellite imagery which covers larger expanses and acres but with lower resolutions. You could use satellite imagery on all claim acres at first to get an idea of where there are areas of concern and a comparison to the surrounding fields. This is especially helpful since Sats take images whether you like it or not so it can be possible to get a before and after pic of a claim or large claim area. Once you locate areas of concern via satellite, then go to those fields and fly with your drone in those specific areas. I see this being more efficient since you have more data to get a more clean picture of damage progression in a field or a clearer picture of why.

Some ideas to think about and if you are curious on actually how this could work feel free to email me. I know it can be done and can be very affordable as well while simple to access. Either way I'll be interested in what others have to say.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)