AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

California is catching a "rain pipe". What are implications for commodities?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 1/6/2017 11:54 (#5748713 - in reply to #5748568)
Subject: RE: California is catching a "rain pipe". What are implications for commodities?

W Texas
Now_What - 1/6/2017 09:54

This storm is starting to play out like the Christmas 96 New Years 97 storm. Warm rain coming directly from Hawaii raining on top of feet of snow from previous storms.

Right now they are releasing water for the next storm and the California aqueduct is only running half full due to fish regulations.

Historically this time of year water would be pumped from the delta into the off stream reservoirs in the southern half of the state such as castic and San Luis.

This has played out over the last few "drought" years water is dumped in the winter months during a storm. Pumping is suspended while dumping water out to the ocean, then a drought is called a few months later.

Just last week the state water board was having meeting on cutting 40% of the water and sezing water stored in reservoirs build and paid for by district land owners and district rate payers for this upcoming year. This is for centuries old districts diverting water out of the Stanislaus, Tulolume, Merced and San Joaquin rivers(with the exception of SF's Hetch Hetch supply).

As far as markets according to one of our seed salesmen he basically sold no hard red wheat or alfalfa seed this year. They sold more wheat seed this year for cover then for grain.

Now there is some market board information I can use! Thx Now What. Possibly most informative post I have ever read on here. Basically sounds like the net effect will be zero benefit to farmers or possibly even a detriment. And you can't believe it's possible until it gets explained in simple terms like this.

I am plowing up alfalfa and intending to plant cotton. Mostly Pima. But I don't have a good handle on the pima market and this big rain event was making me a little nervous.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)