AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If you could do it all again?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 12/10/2016 04:19 (#5687981 - in reply to #5687610)
Subject: RE: If you could do it all again?

Frytown, Iowa
I don't know... there is a LOT I have learned about life from struggling to carve out a decent income in ag in the past 8 years. When I quit my town job and came back to farm with my parents my income was literally cut in half. And it should have, I wasn't worth to them what I was in town as dad had done nearly all the work before anyways... figuring out how to generate the cash flow while absorbing massively inflated purchases sucked.

If I had gone a different route there may have been a few less sleepless nights but I would never have been content wondering about what a life farming would be like. I don't think I could ever be content working FOR someone... the goal has always been to be my own boss... 2 other routes I could have done was buy my own truck and trailer and drive as owner operator but finding loads with decent hours and home every night means less income... things that are important to my wife and I. Other would be apartment rentals. Which would probably be done while trucking... that would be my other life.. trucking and apartments. I would pry be 20 pounds heavier driving truck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)