AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeding silage vs hay and general questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/4/2016 11:19 (#5674954 - in reply to #5674858)
Subject: RE: feeding silage vs hay and general questions

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I'm a relative new comer to cattle and certainly in a different climate area than NW OK but I have occasionally hired a few acres of corn silage chopped and bagged and fed over the winter to cows along with hay.  Corn silage seems to me to produce more tons of high energy feed per acre than about anything else I could grow.  A well-sealed, undamaged bag of corn silage is like an insurance policy against unknown weather, in one way of looking at it. Experienced folks around here tell me it will last a couple years if remains sealed.

Cattle are basically ruminants with 4 stomachs for a reason. As much as they might like the silage they still will leave it to go to dry hay or baleage for the majority of the volume of their 2.5% of weight they need to eat per day over the winter.

Corn silage is a major undertaking however. I have come to prefer making baleage - inline wrapping wet mixed hay bales. Cows look at this stuff like candy, it is very different from corn silage in that it is roughage more adapted to their internal construction, less "hot" than corn silage and they can internally "fill up" on it.  That may be why your calves wander over to the hay.

Inline wrapped baleage made with baled mixed pastures of grasses and legumes also seems to provide a wide variety of nutrients. I would think making mixed baleage would be nutritionally preferable to a single crop baleage such as straight wheat, but that's just a guess on my part without any numbers to back it up.  Inline wrapping wet bales into baleage also speeds up the hay making process in my often wet-at-hay-making-time climate and about eliminates mold problems and waste as long as plastic is put on right and undamaged.

I've taken to rotating cover crops and especially winter rye on ground that I had grow corn for silage. The winter rye grows and is ready to graze a month earlier than my regular pastures and saves at least a couple weeks of feeding hay or baleage in the spring.

Grazing the rye in the early spring also lets me delay putting cows on regular pastures, giving the regular grass/legume pastures time to grow a bit more before first grazing, improving their quality for much of the rest of the grazing season compared to grazing to the ground too early and adding hoof compaction on wet early spring pastures.  Just some of my observations.

What was the problem with your wheat baleage?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)