AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Future endeavors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Riverbottom30
Posted 11/29/2016 09:26 (#5664211 - in reply to #5663550)
Subject: RE: Future endeavors

Central IL
Where are you located? I will kinda explain what we have done. My brother and I farm with our dad. We farm around 1k acres, half of which is some tough bottom ground, where every year is a new challenge. Can't ever guarantee pulling a crop out of there. We also raise 150 head commercial cattle. We were getting by ok until my brother and I started having kids of out own. It became apparent we weren't going to get by doing what we were doing. Our bottom ground farm needed tons of drainage work done. It was getting g to the point fields would never dry out and were starting to grow up in cat tails. We had an old dozer, so we bought an older excavator and got to work. Got things working again and were getting better crops out. Decided we were pretty descent at dirt work, so started doing custom work. About the same time we put up a hoop building to feed out all of our own cattle and also feed out about 100 head per year of Holsteins that my brother and his boys start out as bucket calves. We now have a pretty good sized excavating company including tile installation. Advice I can give from my experience, find something you and your brothers can do and get after it. It's guna take long hours to get things up and going, but can be done. Other option that is probably easier, get in with a seed company. Seems like a lot of people my age that farm have a good salary seed job with benefits. And they still have time to farm. I'm big into doing things yourself, but with health insurance and everything else the way they are these days, may be easier to let someone else cover that stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)