AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Discriminate against these people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 11/28/2016 20:23 (#5663235 - in reply to #5662970)
Subject: RE: Discriminate against these people

Sanilac Co. Michigan
As Slick Willie was wont to say, "I feel your pain", but what additional enforcement of the law and what more draconian punishment than already mandated do you recommend?

Does your province have sufficient law enforcement personnel to man the number of testing sites that would be needed in order to prevent or sufficiently reduce the number of incidence and if not, do you believe your tax payers would be eager to cough up the additional tax revenue to fund that kind of expansion? My point is keeping someone off the road by threatening public shamming isn't enough to keep them from climbing behind the wheel. You would need law enforcement to literally catch them before they can kill or injure someone. That kind of approach faces the double whammy of not only costing more money but also infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens. Might not be too popular and down here that kind of approach might be taken as a violation of our bill of rights. Don't know how well it would play in Ontario.

Punishment has had quite an effect in Michigan. Get caught driving impaired the first time and things get real expensive right away, but you're still allowed one bite of the apple. Second time, it gets real hairy financially and restriction wise, might lose your driving privilege permanently. Third time and you stand the very real prospect of doing time in the big house. Felony and all that carries with it. The state got real serious about the problem around 1990.

I have a couple of opinions on this, just my opinions mind you. First is, I don't think there's a whole lot of risk from hard core alcoholics or professional drunks. The risks are from the amatures who occasionally get tight, then get behind the wheel, that's most people. The hard core alcoholic has learned to compensate in order to function.

My other opinion is that the only way to reduce the incidence of drunk driving is education from a very early age and harsh enforcement because once you're impaired and get behind the steering wheel it's too late.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)