AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm roads in other parts of the world?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 11/28/2016 10:48 (#5662000)
Subject: Farm roads in other parts of the world?

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

Interesting threads below, thought I'd start one on roads you've seen elsewhere in the world.

I've toured rural Russia a bit, and talked to farmers.  There a few recent well built and maintained highways between cities, then there are dirt tracks leading to every field, farm and small town/dacha community.  No one takes any initiative to maintain the dirt paths.  Massive ruts, no gravel.  Farmers have to drive along the edge of someone else's fields to access their own, if path gets too bad they drive on each others crops.  Apparently it is an amicable agreement.  Most of these fields used to be part of the same collective farm, so there was no need for separate access.   While people in the city have all upgraded to imported cars, in the country, the Lada's, Niva's and Volga's are still very popular due to their ability to navigate the roads.

Spent some time touring Rural France.  Very good roads, I think they are virtually all paved, and narrow, every intersection is a traffic circle.  Met a combine in mountainous country, small, old, with narrow header, but header was in tow, and there was a pilot car ahead of combine.   I now understand why imported European machinery is so narrow.  No farm equipment or slow vehicles on the Autoroutes.

15 years ago when I first traveled to the third world country immediately east of Alberta, they were spreading gravel over top of the broken pavement it was so far beyond repair, and the rest of the roads weren't much better.  But things have improved a lot in Saskatchewan since then.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)