AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hydraulic motor on an auger?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 11/8/2016 05:11 (#5624539 - in reply to #5623839)
Subject: RE: hydraulic motor on an auger?

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251
rank - 11/7/2016 18:34

olivetroad - 11/7/2016 17:08

Here you go......

You are THE MAN.

For what it's worth, I called my hydraulic guy and said "I want to put a hydraulic motor on a grain auger what do you need to know?" He said I need the RPMS that you want to turn the screw at and the flow of your pump. Well I just know I crank the PTO on the tractor until it flows grain good so I fired up the tractor and revved it up to 1300-1700 engine RPM and the 540 PTO speed read 320-420. Good right? Wrong. I realized there is a gear box on the PTO auger at the bottom and another at the top and who knows what reduction might be taking place. So I disconnect the PTO shaft from the tractor and count revolutions of screw for one revolution of PTO. Surprise it's 1:1. Then I called my mechanic and asked how many gpm a 5xxx series Maxum tractor flows through the couplers. He says 12-15 gpm.

As I said in the original post I'm using this 8" horizontal unload auger to transfer grain from a hopper bin into a 8" PTO auger so I can core the bin. Then someone told me that even though both augers are 8", the PTO auger is inclined at 45 degrees and it won't have near the capacity at the horizontal auger and I probably have to slow the unload auger way down. Of course that makes perfect sense but I never thought about it. Live and learn I guess.

Sometimes it feels like everything I do is for the first time and I get tired of learning. I'll be so glad when I've done everything once. Thanks again Olive.

Good morning Rank,

Don't worry about the hydraulic driven auger having the ability to overload the pto auger. Another nice thing about a hydraulic driven auger is having the ability to adjust the speed of it in infinate increments with the hydraulic flow rate (gpm) through your tractor couplers without losing power (psi).

I used a hydraulic driven auger yesterday, and another nice thing is it has really long hoses, so you can position the tractor out of the way, and also move the auger around somewhat without having to move the tractor. Use long hoses when you set yours up......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)