AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Father and son relationships
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Kneedeep 2011
Posted 10/25/2016 19:52 (#5599840 - in reply to #5599762)
Subject: RE: Father and son relationships

North Mississippi Delta / Alabama Gulf Coast
I'm the other side of this thread- the Dad.

Son is 24, just married, serving in USAF (so is DIL) and he did not do what I had planned for him. I didn't really ask him, as he was 18 and very immature at enlistment, what his future plans were since he wasn't going to do what I thought was best for him. We have had some difficult times that could have turned into a lifetime of resentment like the relationship I had with my dad (his choice, not mine).

I know he was unsure of his future and only trying to find his own way in life then. It's been a long, hard 6 years. I'm sure he has called me a few names over the years and I rightfully deserved them.
He is maturing into a intelligent young man only lacking experience. He is ambitious and not lazy. Always trying to think of a way to make a dollar. He is going to make mistakes and has made a few, but he learned something from them.

I decided to allow him to be his own man, support his efforts and offer any advice I can IF he wants it. I have my opinion on how things work, no opinion on how he should live his life. That is his decision to make and not mine. I do these things because I love him and want to have a good relationship with him. I trust him to think through things before he commits and to be the kind of man that always tries to do the right thing. That is all a dad should expect from a son.

He reminds me of me.

JMHO

Edited by Kneedeep 2011 10/25/2016 20:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)