AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The price of technology
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Tileman2
Posted 10/19/2016 15:23 (#5589879)
Subject: The price of technology

NW IN
A conversation in the office this morning revolving around technology and it's cost.

With most technology, things get faster and better (think computers, phones, cameras, TV) and, ultimately, cheaper with each successive generation. I'm old enough that I had a Commodore 64 in middle school (it was Dad's, really) and ONE SX386 computer in the cooperative house at college. Both of those machines were VERY expensive compared to any PC today. My current phone has more computing power than the 386 had, for a comparative.

Why is it, then, that with each successive technological advance in seed and chemistry in agriculture, the price only spirals up? 15 years ago a bag of seed (albeit without any of the traits) was net, around $85. Today it's $275 +/-. The same non-gmo corn from 15 years ago is $140 +/-. Yet I can buy a faster computer than the last one for 15% less. Or a better HD TV for 20% less than the last one. It just seems odd that agriculture is an industry that pays more for each "advancement" in technology, and any savings are never realized by the consumer (the grain producer in this instance).

I understand the "cost" of R & D, but does anyone think new computer chips or new cell phone technology develops itself? Those companies have multiple millions in R & D also, but the successor generation ends up driving prices down.

Just a rambling thought on a cloudy October day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)