AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advisory services?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 10/9/2016 07:25 (#5571725 - in reply to #5571365)
Subject: RE: Advisory services?

I do (not expensive, but not an adviser) and if I read all the material that comes out each day starting at 5 am, by 430 pm I'll be ready to get to work. When people involved in the actual commodity did more of the trading, I think some services were worth their weight in gold - they had insights into grain movement and trades that were not readily available before the internet. These days there are so many more players that have very different goals than growing and using grain. You can step back and just look at technical signals (Roach uses stochastic - or is it RSI) to time buying a selling and it's ok, but the signals don't care much about actual price and sell signals can occur well below cost of production (or at least a reasonable sales price). The kicker is money with no interest in commodity fundamentals can come in at any time and run the price up beyond any fundamental justification ($8 corn?). It's impossible to predict this far enough in advance to create a marketing plan based on that happening unless you are the big fund with all the money.

The bottom line is to try to make sales at profitable levels and work hard to reduce cost of production if it looks like those prices are not going to happen. Be a willing seller if funds decide to run the market up because the media says 2 guys got in a fight in a garage in Bangladesh.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)