AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with my over run of corn...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 10/9/2016 08:37 (#5571856 - in reply to #5571690)
Subject: RE: This is a little off topic but since Jon decided to ....

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
.. put everything but the kitchen sink in his post. I'll add mine. A few weeks ago I hypothesised that due to the dry summer, dairy farmers in New York would cut a much greater percentage of their corn acres as silage instead of thrashing it for grain. Well, I was right and I was wrong. A couple of days ago I went for parts and took a drive through some of that mega-dairy area. In years past, you'd see many fields half to three-quarters chopped and remainder drying down. Not this year, it's so open it feels a little weird. It's all gone. What's more, most years they leave the bottom 12 or 15 inches of stalk in order to improve quality, leave behind the less digestible portion. i Not this year, it's cut down to lawn mower height. Furthermore, imagine my surprise when I drove by some grain farms. Grain farms that never cut silage because they want to preserve the organic matter. A quarter to a third of some of those fields had been chopped as well. For half a minute I thought, wow, so&so is going to be angry when he finds out the silage chopping crew cut the wrong field.
As I said before, here in NY we normally plant 1.2 million acres of corn & chop 500-600,000. Well, even if the yield comes in at the USDA's 137 bpa, which I highly doubt, it's possible that we only thrash 3 or 4 hundred thousand acres for grain.
As for the topic at hand, basis aside what's the price more likely to do after Nov. 1? If you need the money in Dec. does it make any sense to gamble between now and then?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)