AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cows and 2,4-D
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/29/2016 14:05 (#5555329 - in reply to #5554744)
Subject: RE: Cows and 2,4-D - More thoughts on spraying and grazing

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The more I think about this thread the more concerned I get.

Initially I didn't understand the original question was referring to spraying harvested corn stalks, then grazing them.

If you look at a harvested corn stalk field as in Crete's POTD which I will repost below, there is almost no soil showing, just corn leaves and other residue. If a field like this one is sprayed with RU and 2,4-D almost 100% of the spray is going to fall on corn leaves and other residue.

Turning cattle in to then graze the sprayed field of stalks and residue means they will be ingesting almost 100% of the spray, much of which has been absorbed by the dry leaves. And if there are some green weeds such as lambs quarter in the corn field those will be ingested by the cattle also as they love to eat lambs quarter and some other weeds.

This whole idea reminds me of the discussion of how cattle manure from cows that have grazed pastures sprayed with Grazon & related herbicides, even composted and 2 years later, will kill certain garden vegetables.

Why not consider grazing the field, or sections of the field, THEN spray after the cattle have been removed? If not time this fall in some climates, then spray an early burn down in the spring.  There are several alternatives. But I would NOT let my cattle graze a cornfield as pictured below 7 days after the field is sprayed with RU, 2,4,D or ANY herbicides.

And even here in this thread there are a few anecdotes such as JPT's above with a bull dying after eating sprayed weeds. It seems logical that even cattle that don't die must have some spray residues in their system after eating all that recently sprayed corn residue.

If composted manure from cattle that grazed sprayed pastures a year or two ago will kill garden vegetables, I sure don't want to be feeding beef from those cattle to my family nor anyone else's family.

Jim

Here is Crete's picture from yesterday of a combined cornfield to show the extent of residue covering the ground = almost 100%

Edited by Jim 9/29/2016 14:20

(14751148047120.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 14751148047120.jpg (62KB - 161 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)