AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bagger is it worth it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 9/19/2016 14:18 (#5537810 - in reply to #5537780)
Subject: RE: Bagger is it worth it

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Tim in WI - 9/19/2016 11:54

Big Ben - 9/19/2016 13:02

Plow79 - 9/19/2016 09:52

Our bag salesman told me a while ago that the first Ag-Baggers we built by Kelly Ryan. You can definitely see the KR influence in that design. Interesting. I'd gamble on it for that amount.

I do not believe your salesman is correct. The first baggers were European, and then Walluski Western started building Ag Bag machines in Oregon.

I don't know when Kelly Ryan started building baggers, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Ag Bag machines.

The story as I heard it is that Ag-Bag started as a marketing company, and contracted Kelly Ryan to build their machines. Worked OK for a while, then for whatever reason Ag-Bag didn't pay on a timely basis so KR repainted the machines in their colors and started selling them in order to get their money. A lawsuit ensued, both parties lost but the result of it was KR was allowed to sell smaller machines and A-B enjoined KR from selling any 4 wheel machines similar to the OP's subject for a period of time-10 years?

I think I have it right, I heard it from someone fairly high up in Kelly Ryan, probably in about 1992. I might have forgotten some of the fine points.

Ag-Bag may have had a contract arrangement with Walluski also- I demo'd a Versa machine(for wagons) in about 1991 that was built remarkably similar to an Ag-Bag machine.

I don't know where, or if, Poly-Farm fits into this. Their machines were not much different than the Silopress machine that preceded them. The first German machines imported here, as far as I know, were the Silopress 401's. Then Silopress sold XP's, then XPII's and then XPIII's before they went out. My first 2 baggers were used XPIII's, I bought my first one in 1989 and it was several years old at the time.

That could be how it went. That's a lot more detail than what I was told by the people at Versa Corp. Apparently the red machines started being built right after Ag Bag was sold to Miller. Someone at Miller made a mistake (IMO, this wasn't part of what the Versa guy said) not having a no compete clause in that deal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)