AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop planting 15" row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BlackCattle
Posted 9/17/2016 03:04 (#5533370 - in reply to #5532302)
Subject: RE: Cover crop planting 15" row

SC Iowa
I did this for the first time this year. I have the red milo plates but I have only used the 60 cell brush meters with backing plates I bought from kinze dealer. I planted various mixes of trit, rye, wheat groundhog radishes, tillage radishes and winter peas so not really scientific..

The population on my integra was showing less than actual, but with that many little seeds dropping so fast, I am not surprised. I have the half rate gears on, I ran spots from mid level pop to the highest setting which is 28,17 . Dealer gave me a paper, but it depends on what you are mixing, and don't tighten the backing plates too tight.

The highest setting up with half rate estimate is around 80- 90 lbs/ ac give or take what you are mixing. I planted a bunch about 2 weeks ago and had bunch of rain and heat and looks amazing, about 4 inches tall already. I will be grazing it this fall and spring

What I learned, don't plant too deep, 1 inch is perfect, and have a high population, this is on ground I chop and HMC

(20160503_124135.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20160503_124135.jpg (185KB - 88 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)